Remember the lady who came to talk at chapel during Global Awareness Week? She talked about "fair trade" and "Good News Goods" (check them out at http://goodnewsgoods.com/). HSUGreen decided to create a shopping guide to encourage you to buy goods that promote sustainability and that work toward the creation of better trading conditions. Here is the 2011 Buy Good Stuff Guide:
1. Baggu Bags - The Classic Baggu is $8. Check it out at www.baggubag.com. Give that someone special the coolest reusable bag on the block. Made of 100% rip-stop material and can hold 50lbs. This bag is rad.
2. Mighty Wallet - The Lumberjack Mighty Wallet is $15. Check it out at www.mightywallets.com. If your grandma asks you what you want for Christmas, you need to tell her, "The 100% recyclable wallet that is virtually indestructible please!" Plus that flannel brings out your eyes.
3. Patagonia - The Patagonia Freebox Jacket sells for $129. Check it out at www.patagonia.com. Yeah, it might be a bit pricey, but you totally get more than what you pay for. DWR coating = water resistant. 90% recycled polyester insulation = sweating in the snow. Patagonia = super high quality and guarantees you will look like a model.
4. Wool and the Gang - The Trophy Head Band Knit Kit is $59. Find it at www.woolandthegang.com. We all agree around here that handmade gifts are the best things ever. The awesome folks at Wool and the Gang hook you up with this knit kit that has everything you need to make not just one, but TWO wool headbands. The kit includes: 2 balls of wool yarn that are made in Peru just for WATG, 10MM Wooden Needles, easy-to-follow patterns, a knitter's sewing needle, and WATG patches.
5. TOMS - The Women's Classic Red Houndstooth sells for $54 at www.tomsshoes.com. You know the drill people and the drill is a great one. TOMS are the ultimate two-for-one present because you're giving two pairs of shoes for the price one. We love this new design of an old classic and it's just in time for those chilly days that you'll need to keep the toes warm. You'll look super fly.
6. HipCycle - Get a Bike Chain Frame for $32 at www.hipcycle.com. Pictures are worth 1000 words, unless they're in a ugly frame, then they're worth a lot less. This is where HipCycle's bike chain frame shows up to save the day. Made of 100% old used bicycle chains, these frames will make any picture look like your favorite. Simple and awesome. Get one.
7. WeWood Time Pieces - The WeWood DATE (beige/brown) sells for $119. Find it at www.we-wood.us. We know what you're thinking, "a wooden watch?!" But trust us, here's when we say, "Yeah, a wooden watch!" WeWood took the classic idea of a watch and brought new life into it, kind of like Pinocchio in reverse. Plus they not only plant a new tree for every watch sold, but they also only use wood that was being scrapped by big companies or that was grown in certified sustainable forests.
8. Trade As One - The Knitted Elephant sells for $16 at www.tradeasone.com. Fads of all kinds will come and go, but people will always love things that are cute and cuddly. This fair trade hand-kitted elephant is made with tons love by the women at Casa de la Mujer Artesana in rural Peru. It would be the perfect gift for anyone who doesn't hate really wonderful things.
9. OliveBarn - The Organic Herb Garden Trio sells for $29.99. Check it out at http://www.olivebarn.com/. Everyone knows someone with a green thumb and after you ask them to get that checked out by a doctor, you should give them the Organic Herb Garden Trio. OliveBarn allows you to pick 3 herbs from their list and they'll send you everything you need to start growing.
10. Alex Bottle - The Alex 32oz (black/fresh) is $29.95 on www.alexbottle.com. This is like no other bottle on the market right now. You can take the Alex apart in the middle so you can turn your 32oz in to a 26oz and you can swap color combinations. The Alex is made of 50% recycled material, is 100% recyclable, and will hopefully be in all of your stockings this year.
Shop green during this Christmas season and spread love and happiness and Christmas cheer to all your friends and family! Don't forget to catch the Greenteam at the Cowboy Christmas party tomorrow at 6:30 PM on Anderson Lawn. We'll give you a shopping guide and enjoy watching the campus get lit up!